In 1867, E.V. White the Chief Engineer of the C.S.N. Virginia (formerly U.S.S. Merrimack), founded E.V. White Company, a supply house of marine supplies and equipment. Following his death (circa 1920), his heirs continued the business until William McCormick Paxton purchased the inventory of E.V. White Company for $9,000 and commenced operations under the name Crichton-Paxton. The business was located on Commercial Place in downtown Norfolk with three employees. Two years later, the business, now renamed Paxton Company moved to the corner of Water Street and Commercial Place.
Bill Paxton with the assistance of many employees grew Paxton Company until his retirement in 1954. During this time period, Paxton Company became a large marine supply house for the Hampton Roads area.
In 1952, Guy R. Beale, Jr. joined his father-in-law Bill Paxton in the management of Paxton Company. In the years from 1952-2010, Guy Beale grew Paxton Company from a marine supply house to a Mid-Atlantic marine and industrial sales and service business. Paxton Company continued to grow and expand with subsequent locations at 407 Union Street and 1019 East Main Street. In 1968, Paxton Company moved to its present location in Norfolk's Industrial Park. Paxton Company opened a branch operation in Wilmington, North Carolina in 1977.
Peggy Beale joined Paxton Company in 1977. She manages the financial, employee benefits and the IT departments. Peggy serves as the CFO of Paxton Company. Jim Beale joined Paxton Company in 1984. He manages the sales, inventory control, and warehouse operations. Jim serves as the President of Paxton Company. Together they represent the third generation of leadership.
Paxton Company would not be successful without the backbone of our business, our loyal staff. Their attention to detail and emphasis on customer service is our best asset.